Wednesday 6 January 2010

A Baked Egg Brunch

Brunch in my house rarely excludes eggs. Eggs are comforting, whether they're simply scrambled, softly boiled or delicately poached. A favourite brunch of mine is Eggs Florentine, especially with foaming Hollandaise but sometimes it can be too much effort, or too heart-stoppingly buttery.

I hadn't tried baking eggs before I made this. It worked well; simple flavourings, runny yolk and a toasted English muffin to scoop up the goodness. There's no set recipe as such as I'm sure you can really add whatever you like - bacon, slow-roasted tomatoes, cooked cubed potato - but here's what I did.


Baked Eggs with Spinach

Serves 1

2 handfuls of spinach
An inch of salami or chorizo, diced
A shallot
1 large free range egg
A dribble of cream or milk
A grating of cheese
Salt & pepper
Some sort of bread product for scooping
Butter

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. In a frying pan, add the salami or chorizo and fry slowly to render the fat out. Add the shallot, sliced, and fry until soft and translucent. Add the spinach and fry on a high heat until just wilted. Drain off any water, and add to a ramekin. Make a well, crack the egg into it, top with the cream and cheese with a touch of salt and pepper and bake for 10 minutes, checking often - you want the egg whites to have just set.

Toast your bread product, butter it, scoop the egg up and eat - preferably with some yolk dribbling down your chin.

13 comments:

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I've never made baked eggs....it is on my list though!!!!!!! Would be great with some pasta too

hardwood furniture said...

I just tried this baked eggs and they are indeed delicious! It is my first time to eat one. Thumbs up!

khanh said...

this looks pretty good and it doesn't seem complicated which i love =) thanks

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Being a huge fan of brunch and eggs, I have found my recipe!

BribedwithFood said...

Brunch? Eggs? Baked eggs?
Can't go wrong!
I normally go for cream, salmon and leeks, but you have given me an idea with the roast tomatoes now...

Stomach rumbling. Must eat.

James B said...

Never had baked eggs before - but this looks ideal for Brunch.

catty said...

Aww yours look lovely!! I made baked eggs on xmas morning but the whites were not quite set so have not shared photos, i think it might make some people feel sick LOL.. after stirring it around, the whites did cook further tho and was delicious. :)

Caitlin @ Roaming Tales said...

Yum! I'm fond of baked eggs and I love spinach for breakfast.

ginandcrumpets said...

Eggs are, without question, my favourite food (apart from chips, but they get their own special category. And chocolate, but that's more a mood stimulant) and baked eggs are lovely. Done just with cream and butter – now that's a Sunday tea. These look lovely. Baked eggs for dinner tomorrow, I think.

Unknown said...

Good idea - I have never baked my eggs either as I find it hard to go past scrambled or poached but for breakfast that is a bit different to the usual I think it is a great idea - will have to test it out!

Anne said...

I've never had baked eggs but am really tempted to now with yours, love the idea of chorizo in there and everything else I love!

James Marwood said...

I tried this for lunch and it worked very well. Took a bit longer than 10 minutes to cook the eggs in my old oven but the flavours were great :)

Wendy said...

I often make baked eggs but this version looks divine!