Monday 16 May 2011

Chilli Miso Noodle Soup

I recently went to Dinings near Edgware Road and one of the dishes, a chilli salmon miso soup stuck with me for a while. It was delicious; on the menu I didn't think it would work, but I was glad I ordered it as it was intensely savoury and soothing. I decided to attempt a re-creation to make a big one-bowl meal. It ended up being a mish-mash of Japanese and Chinese ingredients and was filling and nourishing.

Slippery thin rice noodles bulked the soup out, while the pak choi and mange tout added essential crunch. I had hoped to grill the skin from the rainbow trout until it was puffy and crispy to serve on top, but it was Sunday lunchtime and I knew the honk of it would be antisocial in an open-plan flat. The chunks of fish are added to the broth to poach gently; boiling miso is said to ruin the health benefits of it, so a mere bubble of a simmer is all that is required.

Chilli Miso Noodle Soup

Serves 1

1 small salmon or rainbow trout fillet, chopped into thick chunks
1 heaped tbsp white miso
1 small piece of kombu seaweed
A small handful of bonito flakes (this and the kombu can be substituted with powdered dashi, available at Japanese and many Chinese supermarkets)
1 tsp chilli bean paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1" ginger, minced
1 spring onion - white and green parts separated
A handful of mange tout or sugarsnap peas
1 head of pak choi
A splash of soy sauce
60gr fresh thin ho fun noodles, or the equivalent dried
A few sprigs of coriander
1 lime

In a small saucepan either make up your powdered dashi with 300mls water or simmer your kombu seaweed for 15 minutes. Take off the heat and throw in the bonito flakes.

Meanwhile, set another saucepan on to boil. Slice the pak choi down the middle to halve it, and add to the simmering water. Simmer for 2 minutes, then add the mange tout and noodles (if fresh) for 1 min. Take off the heat and drain, adding it to your bowl.

Drain your soup stock into a recepticle. Heat some oil in a saucepan and add the ginger and garlic. Fry slowly until fragrant, and then add the white part of the spring onion, chopped. Next in goes the chilli bean paste, and after a good 2 or so minutes worth of frying, add the soup stock. Simmer for 5 mins, then turn the heat down and add the miso, stirring well. Slide in the chunks of fish and poach on a very low heat for 5 minutes. Add the noodles and veg back into the saucepan to warm it up, and serve immediately. Add soy sauce to taste and garnish with chopped coriander, sliced green parts of the spring onion and squeeze the lime over it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! Nothing more rewarding than a big bowl of hot soup, especially if it involves miso.

On another note: Where do you get the bonito flakes from? I've tried to buy them at the Japan Centre in Regent Street but they don't seem to stock them anymore...

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness this includes pretty much all my favourite ingredients - sounds delicious and (shock horror) even HEALTHY!

Su-Lin said...

Sounds perfect for the chilly nights we've been having. Miso noodle soups are fab, aren't they? I quite like a miso ramen and having it spicy sounds even better.

tori said...

Loving this. Chilli miso= perfect, perfect hangover food. Just enough salt and kick to get me going.

Helen said...

This looks freakin delish. I very much enjoyed my lobster miso soup at Dinings but I sure as hell ain't recreating that.

S said...

scrummy. i really love salmon but get a bit sick of - we always eat it roasted. this is a great way to prepare it. lizzie, which chili bean paste do you use? x shayma

Ed said...

Loving this & will definitely try to recreate. Interested to know re the chilli bean paste too, but also didn't realise until now (+ some subsequent googling) that there's more than one type of miso. Do you know what type is the standard used in UK Japanese restaurants (i.e. what am I used to??)?

The Grubworm said...

This sounds intriguing, chillibean paste and miso? You're right that it doesn't sound like it should work, but as it does, it sounds wonderful.

It's funny, i never really think of fusion food incorporating dishes like this, a fusion of Chinese and Japanese cuisine. I always think of it in terms of East and West (or Europe and Asia). Still, I am not surprised that it is a Japanese restaurant that gets it right.

Alex said...

I love the eel at Dinings.

Just curious, did you blow a lot of money on that dinner?

catty said...

That looks like the perfect gloomy day / feeling sick kinda meal. Did you have the wagyu beef sushi with ponzu & truffle at Dinings??

girls who like to gorge said...

This loooks fabulous and very healthy! xxx

Hollow Legs said...

Sauerkraut - Hmm... I got them at the japan centre! It was a while ago. Maybe try New Loon Moon on Gerrard St? They stock a lot of Japanese stuff.

GC - I know, HEATHLY! Get me.

Su-Lin - I love a good noodle soup. I don't have them enough.

Tori - I was very hungover, actually....

Helen - really? G'wan!

Shayma - I much prefer salmon poached; far lighter.

Ed - I believe it's white miso. Red miso is a lot deeper and saltier in flavour.

Grubworm: I don't think they used chilli bean paste at Dinings, that was my own bastardisation.

Alex - The eel was good, and yes we blew a shit-load. Not entirely sure it was worth it.

Catty: nope. I'd like to say next time, but I don't think I'd go back.

Girls - thanks!

thechutneyfoodie said...

This looks delish!

I often make a nice miso/ramen and it really does make you feel great.